- Founding Partner
William S. Petrillo, a member of the New York Bar since 1995, limits his practice exclusively to defending criminal cases. He defends clients in state and federal Court, ranging from the most serious and complex crimes to minor offenses. He has procured acquittals in many difficult cases, including high profile trials. Many of Mr. Petrillo's cases have been publicized by every major television network and newspaper, including many that received national and international recognition. He is often quoted and interviewed as a legal expert for these media outlets as well.
After graduating from St. John's University, Mr. Petrillo joined the New York City Police Department where he gained valuable life experience as a police officer for six years. He then left the police department to attend the City University of New York School of Law at Queens College. In law school, Mr. Petrillo was chosen to be a member of the trial advocacy team which represented the school in a national competition in Chicago, consisting of 25 law schools. Judged by lawyers and judges from around the country, Mr. Petrillo received the highest rating of all participants.
Upon graduating from law school in 1994, Mr. Petrillo became an assistant district attorney at the Nassau County District Attorney's Office where his career in litigation began. He immediately distinguished himself as a trial attorney and was quickly promoted to the felony trial bureau. Here he was assigned a wide variety of very serious cases and acquired extensive and successful trial experience.
After obtaining invaluable courtroom experience, Mr. Petrillo entered private practice in 1998 when he joined a criminal defense firm. Here, he continued on his path as an active trial lawyer and established himself as the firm's in house trial counsel. For the next four years Mr. Petrillo continually and successfully tried a wide range of cases in multiple jurisdictions ranging from the most serious and complex cases to minor cases. In 2002, Mr. Petrillo founded The Law Offices of William S. Petrillo, P.C. He continues to regularly try cases and concentrates exclusively in all aspects of criminal defense in state and federal court.
Mr. Petrillo is often referred cases that are trial ready from other attorneys. He is routinely consulted by members of the legal community to advise on trial issues and issues of criminal law, and has been retained by law firms as a consultant to assist their attorneys. Mr. Petrillo is a sought after frequent lecturer who has taught large groups of lawyers, law students, District Attorneys and law enforcement entities on many occasions. Mr. Petrillo lives on Long Island with his wife and two sons. Mr. Petrillo has performs many hours of pro bono service and seeks to share the love of God with all people. He is an ordained Christian Pastor, Preacher and Bible Teacher. Pastor Petrillo gives all praise, glory and honor to his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and seeks to bring Him glory and honor with his life.
Mr. Petrillo is listed in New York Superlawyers. He has also been selected for The National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Criminal Defense Trial Attorneys, The Nations Top One Percent Distinguished Counsel, Lawyers of Distinction and is a member of The Criminal Courts Bar Association of Nassau County, The Nassau County Bar Association and The Former Assistant District Attorney's Association of Nassau County. He is a former member of the National Association of Distinguished Counsel, The National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys, The New York State Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys and The New York State Trial Lawyers Association.
- City University of New York School of Law at Queens College, Flushing, New York
- J.D. - 1994
- Honors: Trial Advocacy Team, Member
- Honors: Represented the School in a National Competition in Chicago
- Honors: Received the highest rating in National Competition in Chicago
- St. John’s University
- Cross Examination, Marino Institute, 2016
- Courtroom Testimony, Nassau Country Police Academy, 2016
- Jury Selection, Hofstra Law School, 2016
- New York City Police Department, Police Officer
- Nassau County District Attorney's Office, Assistant District Attorney
- The Criminal Courts Bar Association of Nassau County, Member
- The Nassau County Bar Association, Member
- The Former Assistant District Attorney's Association of Nassau County, Member
- National Association of Distinguished Counsel, Former Member
- The National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys, Former Member
- The New York State Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys, Former Member
- The New York State Trial Lawyers Association, Former Member
- White Collar Criminal Defense
- Criminal Defense
- New York
- New York Superlawyers
- The National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Criminal Defense Trial Lawyers
- The Nations Top One Percent Distinguished Counsel
- Lawyers of Distinction
- 10.0 Avvo Rating Superb